Producer Diversification Fruit and Vegetable Sector
Who is a Fruit and Vegetable Producer?
For the purposes of TAEP, an eligible Fruit and Vegetable operation is involved in the production of produce for sale and is aimed at increasing profitability of the operation.
• Fruit and Vegetable grower
• Pumpkin producers
• Viticulture - grape production only
Fruit and Vegetable Producer Cost Share Opportunities
Standard Producer – 35% Cost Share - $10,000 Maximum
All approved applicants with Fruit & Vegetable projects are eligible for 35% cost share.
There are no special requirements for 35% cost share.
Master Producer – 50% Cost Share - $15,000 Maximum
To be eligible for 50% cost share, approved applicants must complete special requirements prior to the program reimbursement deadline of September 1, 2018.
Special Requirements for 50% Cost Share
Option #1: Fruit & Vegetable producers
- Pick Tennessee Conference (previously Tennessee Horticultural Expo) – must attend
- Sector eligible educational course – must attend (1)
Applicant must have participated in special requirements from 2014-2018.
Visit www.tn.gov/taep for:
- Producer Diversification Special Requirements list - to view list of eligible courses and events by sector.
- Producer Diversification Special Requirements Calendar - to view upcoming special requirements courses and events.
Option #2: Good Agricultural Practices (GAP)
- Applicant must have GAP certification and current letter of compliance at time of reimbursement.
What Fruit and Vegetable Projects Qualify for TAEP?
The proposed activity/project must encompass quality expansion or improvement of the applicant’s farm and business. The eligible categories are: farm infrastructure, specialty equipment and marketing. Examples of eligible and ineligible items are provided on page 9.
Competitive Projects - Fruit & Vegetable:
- Priority is given to projects that are focused on improving or increasing production.
- Marketing projects that are long term in nature are allowed but are not considered as competitive as those involving production.
Eligible Fruit and Vegetable Items:
- Not all eligible items are listed; please contact the Producer Diversification Coordinator for project eligibility or clarification prior to applying for TAEP cost share.
- All eligible items requested may not be approved due to the competitive evaluation of the program.
Bladder press – viticulture
• Chilling units – not for AC units
• Walk-in cooler
Fan – greenhouse
• Propagation area
Hand washing stations for workers
• Shade system
Heater – greenhouse
• Controller system
• Fertigation system
• Filter system
• Frost protection
• Pond liner
• Storage tanks
Lighting – not for aesthetics
• Pavilion/retail shelter*
Must pump – fruit juices only
• Packing line/washing equipment
Permanent restroom facilities*
• Standalone structure from packing facility
• Bird control netting
• Wildlife barriers
Plastic mulch layer/ lifter
Plastic pallets (food grade only)
Production line equipment
Pruner – mechanical
Sink – produce washing
Thermostat – greenhouse
Trellis materials – berries and vines
Website development – see ineligible items
* Include dimensions and designs with project proposal.
Ineligible Fruit and Vegetable Items – Most commonly requested
- Alcohol production equipment
- Building – storage
- Concession stands/kitchens
- Containers – bottles, pots, packaging
- Drip Tape
- Driveways, trails, paths, roads, etc.
- Electrical consumption
- Fees – membership
- Give a way items
- Golf cart
- Hand Tools
- Labor – applicant
- Land – clearing of
- Maintenance of existing structures, equipment, items etc.
- Meeting expenses
- Motorized vehicles – ATV, forklift, tractor
- Office equipment
- Permits – or certifications
- Plants – liners/plugs
- Product development
- Property – purchase or debt payment
- Renovations of existing structures
- Seeds – produce, nursery, flowers, etc.
- Store – general
- Trade show expenses
- Trailers – livestock
- Used equipment
- Water source creation – ponds, wells
- Website – annual or hosting fees
- Winemaking equipment
|For additional information call 1-800-342-8206 or email producer.diversification@TN.gov|
|Application B Eligibility
B Program Requirements