Producer Diversification Horticulture Producer
Who is a Horticulture Producer?
For the purposes of TAEP, an eligible Horticulture operation is involved in the production of tree/plant stock for sale and is aimed at increasing profitability of the operation.
- Tree farms
- Plant farms
Horticulture Applicant Requirements
- The applicant’s business must produce the majority of their plants from seed or cutting to finished product.
- Businesses who make the majority of their gross sales from plants purchased for resale are not eligible.
Consumer & Industry Services (Regulatory):
- Producers must meet all state and local regulatory requirements at time of application submission (October 1 - 16, 2017).
Applicants producing nursery stock, greenhouse plants, turf grass, etc. must be licensed by the State of Tennessee. Contact the Tennessee Department of Agriculture – Consumer and Industry Services at 615-837-5137 for more information on required permits.
Horticulture Producer Cost Share Opportunities
Standard Producer – 35% Cost Share - $10,000 Maximum
All approved applicants with Horticulture projects are eligible for 35% cost share.
There are no special requirements for 35% cost share.
Master Producer – 50% Cost Share - $15,000 Maximum
To be eligible for 50% cost share, applicants must complete special requirements prior to the program reimbursement deadline of September 1, 2018. The name registered for the special requirement must be the same name as the individual applying for cost share funding.
Special Requirements for 50% Cost Share
UT Master Nursery Producer Program (TMNP) – certificate must be current at time of reimbursement.
- Recertification required if course was completed prior to 2014.
- Contact the UT TMNP Coordinator’s office at (865) 974-7152 if you are unsure when your master certificate was issued.
- Visit www.tnmasternursery.com for more information about this program.
What Horticulture Projects Qualify for TAEP?
The proposed activity/project must encompass quality expansion or improvement of the applicant’s farm and business. The eligible categories are: farm infrastructure, specialty equipment and marketing. Examples of eligible and ineligible items are provided on page 13.
Competitive Projects – Horticulture:
• Priority is given to projects that are focused on improving or increasing production.
• Marketing projects that are long term in nature are allowed but are not considered as competitive as those involving production.
Eligible Horticulture Items:
- Not all eligible items are listed; please contact the Producer Diversification Coordinator for project eligibility or clarification prior to applying for TAEP cost share.
- All eligible items requested may not be approved due to the competitive evaluation of the program.
Aeration system – flowers
Cold Storage *
• Walk in cooler
Container production area*
Drying house – flowers*
Fan – greenhouse
Gravel – geotextile preferred
• Propagation area*
• Container production
• Shade system
Heater – greenhouse
High tunnel/hoop house*
• Controller system
• Filter system
• Pond liner
Lighting – not for aesthetics
Packing line equipment
Thermal tag printer – horticulture only
Thermostat – greenhouse
Tree baler –standing
Tree hauling wagons
Water level control
Water storage tanks
Website development – see ineligible
* Include dimensions and designs with project proposal.
Ineligible Horticulture Items – Most commonly requested
Building – storage
Containers – bottles, pots, packaging
Driveways, trails, paths, roads, etc.
Fees – membership
Give a way items
Labor – applicant
Land – clearing of
Maintenance of existing structures, equipment, items etc.
Motorized vehicles – ATV, forklift, tractor
Plants – liners/plugs
Property – purchase or debt payment
Renovations – of existing structures
Seeds – produce, nursery, flowers, etc.
Solar Power Equipment
Store – general
Trade show display and expenses
Trailers – livestock
Water source creation – ponds/wells
Website – annual, domain or hosting fees
|For additional information call 1-800-342-8206 or email producer.diversification@TN.gov|
|Application B Eligibility Requirements||Application B Program Requirements||Application B Materials|