The Decision Support: Research and Planning section of the Tennessee Department of Correction provides data analysis, strategic planning guidance, program evaluation, and research assistance which supports the department's development, management and operational initiatives. This section is responsible for providing:
- Information and analyses to identify and respond to developing trends and issues.
- Support and assistance to the entire department at all levels in the acquisition and analysis of information pertinent to its needs.
- Information requested from various public and private constituents.
- Strategic planning initiatives and grant writing.
The staff includes the director and three staff positions. Decision Support: Research and Planning generates numerous monthly, quarterly and annual reports now available in pdf format on this site.
- Annual Reports
- Statistical Abstract - this report provides detailed statistical information which has previously been contained in other types of reports.
- Annual Felon Population Projections Reports and Mid-Year Assessment
- Monthly Felon Population Update - this report provides statistics on felons in Tennessee who are incarcerated, on probation or on parole.
- Monthly Female Population Update - this report provides statistics specifically on incarcerated female felons in Tennessee. Probation and parole numbers are not included.
- Monthly Bed Space and Operating Capacities Reports - this report shows the assigned count, total beds available and operating capacity of each Tennessee Department of Correction facility on the last day of the month.
- Monthly Jail Summary Reports - this monthly report provides a point-in-time perspective of the jail population in Tennessee.
- Monthly Female Jail Summary Reports - this monthly report provides a one-day snapshot of the female jail population in Tennessee.
- Statistical Abstract: TDOC Recidivism Study - FY 2001-2007 (pdf format)(318 kb) - This report provides an analysis of felon return rates.
- Research Briefs - research conducted by the Planning and Research section which provides statistical information and narrative synopses of various topics of interest.
- Children and Families - reports and demographic inquiries into the issues surrounding incarcerated families.
- Research Proposal - suspended, effective January 1, 2012.
- Tennessee Public Records Act and Reproduction of Public Records (pdf format)(117 kb).
In 2012, the Tennessee Department of Correction began using a True Population Forecast Simulation Model to project system needs over a 60 month period. The simulation model allows TDOC to mimic the flow of offenders from the county jails to state prison and to reentry. Building this model gives us the ability to assess the impact on the offender population of adjustments to state statute, policy, and parole board practices and more accurately project the long term effects on the Tennessee felon population. This change in the way that projections have been done ensures that decisions are based on supportable data and the supervision of offender population is swift, appropriate, and cost effective for the citizens of Tennessee.