Effective January 1, 2012
The anticipated transfer of field services from the Board of Parole to TDOC on July 1, 2012 necessitates the continued suspension of research proposal review and approval. You are encouraged to use the vast array of data that is currently made available on our website to facilitate any research endeavors.
Research Proposal Review Process - Temporary Suspension with Exception
Effective July 20, 2009
Thank you for your interest in conducting research within the Tennessee Department of Correction (TDOC). TDOC has a long history of supporting research that contributes to knowledge building within the criminal justice profession. With the budget challenges presented this year, the TDOC also found a great opportunity to launch an exciting initiative.
TDOC has joined with our sister agency, the Tennessee Board of Parole to implement an alternative to incarceration for certain less serious offenders. There are many parts to this exciting initiative that will command the attention of facility staff to ensure the initiative enjoys a high level of success.
As a consequence, TDOC is temporarily suspending acceptance of research proposals, other than current ongoing longitudinal studies, until further notice.
We wish you well in your research venture.
Important: Before being able to view a pdf file, you must download the Adobe Reader, version 4.0 or greater, by Adobe Acrobat. Simply click pdf reader and follow instructions from the Adobe site.
- Annual Reports
- Statistical Abstract - this report provides detailed statistical information which has previously been contained in other types of reports.
- Annual Felon Population Projections Reports and Mid-Year Assessment
- Monthly Felon Population Update - this report provides statistics on felons in Tennessee who are incarcerated, on probation or on parole.
- Monthly Female Population Update - this report provides statistics specifically on incarcerated female felons in Tennessee. Probation and parole numbers are not included.
- Monthly Bed Space and Operating Capacities Reports - this report shows the assigned count, total beds available and operating capacity of each Tennessee Department of Correction facility on the last day of the month.
- Monthly Jail Summary Reports - this monthly report provides a point-in-time perspective of the jail population in Tennessee.
- Monthly Female Jail Summary Reports - this monthly report provides a one-day snapshot of the female jail population in Tennessee.
- Statistical Abstract: TDOC Recidivism Study - FY 2001-2007 (pdf format)(318 kb) - This report provides an analysis of felon return rates.
- Research Briefs - research conducted by the Planning and Research section which provides statistical information and narrative synopses of various topics of interest.
- Children and Families - reports and demographic inquiries into the issues surrounding incarcerated families.
- Research Proposal - suspended, effective January 1, 2012.
- Charges of Computer Generated Requests (pdf format)(27 kb) - policy is attached addressing these charges.