Employee Graduate Tuition Reimbursement Program Application Process
Please note the following information and observe the following procedures carefully if applying to the DCS Employee Graduate Tuition Reimbursement Program. Failure to fully complete and submit application materials by the deadlines listed could result in disqualification or delays to your admittance to the program.
To apply for the, DCS Employee Graduate Tuition Reimbursement Program the applicant must:
Be a full-time DCS employee in a direct services position (DCS Case Manager 2, 3, 4 or Team Coordinator) actively providing child welfare or juvenile justice case management services in a DCS field office, YDC or at the Child Abuse Hotline
Be employed with the Department for at least two years as of the first day of classes on the academic year noted below (beginning fall)
Be in good-standing with the Department:
- not on probation at the time of application
- no current or pending disciplinary action
- no history of disciplinary action within the past three years with any State agency. (Disciplinary action includes written warnings, suspensions, demotion or termination.)
- Received a Performance Evaluation within the past 12 months with a score of at least "valued."
- Receive approval from supervisor and regional/facility leadership on the Initial Approval of Participation Request.
The student must also be unconditionally accepted into an accredited graduate program (or program in candidacy) relevant to your current job duties in one of the following approved areas of study:
- Social Work (pertains only to students not participating in the DCS MSW/MSSW Tuition Program)
Please have Initial Approval of Participation Request submitted to Central Office prior to the following date:
- August 1 (one year prior to your anticipated acceptance into the tuition program)
Please have remaining application materials submitted to Central Office after the August 1 deadline but prior to the following date:
- June 1 (one year after you received approval to participate in the tuition assistance programs from your immediate supervisor and regional leadership)
Successful completion of each of the following documents is required for entry into the Employee Graduate Tuition Reimbursement Program. Please be sure to have your own, your direct supervisor’s and Regional Administrator’s signatures where indicated on these forms.
- Initial Approval of Participation Request
- Application DCS Employee Reimbursement Program
- Authorization to Release Academic Information DCS Tuition Assistance Programs
- Program Agreement DCS Employee Reimbursement Program
- A photocopy of your unconditional letter of acceptance into an accredited graduate program.
- Essay. Please thoroughly answer all questions below.
- Why do you want to obtain your advanced degree in the human services field?
- What are your post- graduation plans and goals?
- How will an advanced degree help your career at DCS?
- How is obtaining this degree of benefit to DCS?
- Do you intend to apply for higher level positions within DCS once you obtain your advanced degree?
- What achievements and/or recognition have you received since being at DCS (statewide, regional, county, team, etc.)?
- Have you received any disciplinary actions (to include oral warnings, written warnings, suspensions, demotions, re-assignments, terminations, etc.) since you have been employed with DCS?
Interviews for Fall 2018 acceptance will take place during the months of June or July, 2018 in Nashville, TN. Dates will be updated once they are determined. All applicants must interview in person to be considered for acceptance into the program.
Please email completed application packets:
Applicants will receive notification of their interview status after the application deadline. Interviews for Fall 2018 acceptance will take place during the months of June or July, 2018 in Nashville, TN. Dates will be updated once they are determined. All applicants must interview in person to be considered for acceptance into the program.
After interviews have completed, applicants will be notified of their status in the program by the end of July. All accepted applicants will be required to turn in their schedule.