Six Tennessee Schools Recognized Nationally for Exceptional Student Performance
Six Tennessee public schools were recognized Tuesday as 2015 National Blue Ribbon Schools based on their overall academic excellence or progress in closing achievement gaps among students.
"These schools serve as a model of excellence across the state,” Education Commissioner Candice McQueen said. “The students, teachers, administrators, and parents in these communities have made thoughtful and innovative decisions to promote student learning and deserve to be recognized for this outstanding achievement.”
The National Blue Ribbon Schools Program honors elementary, middle, and high schools where students either show tremendous achievement or are making notable improvements in closing the achievement gap between historically underserved groups of students and their peers.
Schools could be recognized in one of the following categories, based on all student scores, subgroup student scores, and graduation rates:
- Exemplary High Performing Schools are among the state’s highest performing schools as measured by the Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program. Student subgroup performance and high school graduation rates are also at high levels.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap Closing Schools are among the state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps between historically underserved student groups and their peers over the past five years. Academic performance and high school graduation rates for each subgroup are also at high levels.
The following public schools were named National Blue Ribbon Schools for academic achievement:
- Middle College High School, Shelby County Schools
- Clovercroft Elementary School, Williamson County Schools
- Ravenwood High School, Williamson County Schools
The following public schools were named National Blue Ribbon Schools for closing gaps between groups of students:
- Falling Water Elementary School, Hamilton County Schools
- Buchanan Elementary School, Rutherford County Schools
- Trousdale County High School, Trousdale County Schools