Add an Endorsement
- Academic Teacher License
- Practitioner Occupational Teacher
Endorsements for Occupational Teachers can be obtained through one of four pathways using work experience, industry certification and postsecondary training. The four possible pathways are:
- Credentialed (certificate or diploma) postsecondary training in the endorsed area, or associate degree, or industry certification may substitute for two (2) years of work experience. In addition, applicant must also have at least three (3) years of work experience in the endorsed area in the last eight (8) years for a total of five (5) years; or
- A combination of an associate degree related to the endorsed area and industry certification may be substituted for four (4) years of work experience. In addition, applicant must have at least one (1) year of work experience in the endorsed area in the last eight years (8) for a total of five (5) years; or
- A bachelor’s degree or higher degree in the endorsed area may be substituted for partial or full credit of work experience depending on the endorsement and related industry; or
- Five (5) years of full-time work experience accrued in the occupational area of endorsement within the last eight (8) years.
State Minimum Requirements Endorsements
There are some areas of endorsement which may only be obtained by meeting state minimum requirements. Some of these areas are only available as additional endorsements to an existing teacher license. Others require prerequisites such as certain degrees and experience. These areas are:
The Educator Licensure Policy (5.502k) requires that educators complete a minimum of 12 semester hours in literature of the Bible from a regionally accredited institution of higher education to be eligible for the Bible endorsement. Coursework in theology, doctrine, ethics, dogma, and other courses of a doctrinal nature cannot be used to fulfill this requirement.
For a course to be used to fulfill this endorsement, applicants are required to provide the following:
- the course description for each course to be counted toward the minimum 12 semester hours in literature of the Bible, AND
- a statement of not more than 100 words that clearly supports why the course aligns with the Bible teacher endorsement requirements.
The application, course description and supporting statements must be submitted via TNCompass. If you have not already done so, you may register for your TNCompass account here. Official transcripts must be submitted by the institution of higher learning or via and online clearinghouse directly to Educator.Licensure@tn.gov.
An Education Preparation Provider (EPP) may request a Bible teacher endorsement on behalf of an educator by submitting the application via TNCompass. The EPP must upload the course description(s) from the official IHE course catalog for each course to be counted toward the minimum 12 semester hours in literature of the Bible at the time they submit the application. The official transcripts must also be submitted.
If you have any questions contact Educator.Licensure@tn.gov.
- Driver Education
The applicant must have a valid teaching license and hold a secondary endorsement (grades 7-12 or K-12) and shall complete at minimum of 10 semester hours of driver and traffic safety education including the following areas:
- Basic driver and traffic safety education
- Advanced driver and traffic safety education
- General safety
- First aid and emergency medical services
- School Food Service Supervisor
The applicant shall hold a bachelor's degree and the applicant shall be a licensed educator or shall have completed at least 18 semester hours in education, psychology, or sociology. The applicant shall complete 12 semester hours including course work in each of the following:
- Personnel management
- Accounting, cost analysis, or financial management of food systems, and
- Spread sheet applications
The applicant shall complete one of the following:
- Field experience of 6 semester hours, or
- Professional experience -supervised by a licensed school food service supervisor- of at least 120 (check) clock hours including the following areas: procurement, quantity foods, design and layout, and sanitation and food safety.
The applicant must have a valid license endorsed in principal, supervisor of instruction, or administration/supervision. The applicant shall have at least a master's degree. The applicant must have 5 years acceptable experience which shall include teaching and/or administration. The applicant shall have a graduate major in educational administration and supervision or a minimum of 20 graduate semester hours in administration, supervision, and related courses. The following courses must be completed:
- School organization and administration
- Curriculum development
- School finance
- School plant and transportation
- School and community relations
- Supervisor of Attendance
The applicant must have a valid teacher license. The applicant must have 5 years of teaching experience. The applicant must complete a minimum of 8 semester hours of coursework in the following areas:
- Counseling and guidance
- Community and school relations
- Special Education
- Social case work
- State and federal laws relating to school attendance