Add an Endorsement

There are three ways to add endorsements to a current, valid Tennessee educator license.

  1. Complete an approved college/university program for additional endorsement and all applicable Praxis II exams.

    (Complete listing of Praxis II series exams required in Tennessee). The college/university shall submit recommendation for additional endorsement.

  2. Secondary Academic Endorsements by Test Only

    Effective April 1, 2010, applicants who hold a current, valid Tennessee Teacher license (Apprentice Teacher Out of State Teacher or Professional Teacher ) with one or more secondary academic endorsement area(s) (i.e. the endorsement contains one or more of the secondary grades 7-12) can add another secondary endorsement by passing the required Praxis specialty area test(s). Applicants seeking additional endorsement(s) by test only must pass all applicable portions of the Praxis Series Exams developed and administered by Educational Testing Service and submit an application to add the endorsement.

    Praxis Series Exams required in Tennessee

    Note: Applicants seeking to add a secondary endorsement by passing required Praxis specialty area tests do not need to obtain the recommendation from a college/university. The Library Information Specialist and Reading Specialist endorsements require completion of an approved graduate level program and the applicable praxis exam.

    It is the responsibility of the educator to pass all applicable Praxis II exams and submit official scores and a completed application requesting additional endorsement to the Office of Educator Licensing.

    Additional endorsements may not be added to the following license types using the test only option:

    • Occupational license endorsements
    • Special Group license endorsements: School Counselor, Social Worker, School Psychologist, Audiologist, Speech Language Pathologist
    • Administrator license endorsements
    • Endorsements which have additional special requirements: Librarian, Reading Specialist, State minimum requirements endorsements
    • Early Childhood, Early Childhood Special Education, Early Development & Learning, and Elementary Education. (These are not secondary grade levels)

    Educators must obtain a college/university recommendation in addition to testing requirements to obtain the endorsements listed above.

  3. 3. State Minimum Requirements Endorsements

    There are some areas of endorsement which may only be obtained by meeting state minimum requirements. Some of these areas are only available as additional endorsements to an existing teacher license. Others require prerequisites such as certain degrees and experience. These areas are:


The applicant must have a valid teaching license. A minimum of 12 semester hours in literature of the Bible is required. Coursework may not include courses in theology, doctrine, ethics, dogma and other courses of a doctrinal nature.

Driver Education

The applicant must have a valid teaching license and hold a secondary endorsement (grades 7-12 or K-12) and shall complete at minimum of 10 semester hours of driver and traffic safety education including the following areas:

  • Basic driver and traffic safety education
  • Advanced driver and traffic safety education
  • General safety
  • First aid and emergency medical services
School Food Service Supervisor

The applicant shall hold a bachelor's degree and the applicant shall be a licensed educator or shall have completed at least 18 semester hours in education, psychology, or sociology. The applicant shall complete 12 semester hours including course work in each of the following:

  • Personnel management
  • Nutrition
  • Accounting, cost analysis, or financial management of food systems, and
  • Spread sheet applications

The applicant shall complete one of the following:

  • Field experience of 6 semester hours, or
  • Professional experience -supervised by a licensed school food service supervisor- of at least 120 (check) clock hours including the following areas: procurement, quantity foods, design and layout, and sanitation and food safety.

The applicant must have a valid license endorsed in principal, supervisor of instruction, or administration/supervision. The applicant shall have at least a master's degree. The applicant must have 5 years acceptable experience which shall include teaching and/or administration. The applicant shall have a graduate major in educational administration and supervision or a minimum of 20 graduate semester hours in administration, supervision, and related courses. The following courses must be completed:

  • School organization and administration
  • Supervision
  • Curriculum development
  • School finance
  • School plant and transportation
  • School and community relations
Supervisor of Attendance

The applicant must have a valid teacher license. The applicant must have 5 years of teaching experience. The applicant must complete a minimum of 8 semester hours of coursework in the following areas:

  • Counseling and guidance
  • Community and school relations
  • Special Education
  • Social case work
  • State and federal laws relating to school attendance