Tennessee educators must complete an educator preparation program. Prospective educators can search approved preparation providers/programs.
The approval of Educator Preparation Programs (EPPs) is governed by state law. View state policies, rules, and information regarding EPP approval.
Preparation through Partnership
On April 5, the department released Preparation through Partnership: Strengthening Tennessee's New Teacher Pipeline, a new report that compares the demand for teachers to the supply of teachers with particular subject-area specializations—including English as a second language, world languages, and science as the areas of greatest need—and the effectiveness and confidence with which new teachers enter the classroom. In the report, the department explores the state's role in educator preparation and provides a series of recommendations for districts and EPPs to collaboratively support this work going forward.
The recommendations suggest next steps that build on a growing momentum across the state to continue improvement of the new teacher pipeline, from the design and structure of educator preparation programs through the ongoing development of new teachers. Some of the recommendations include:
- Districts and EPPs should use data from EPP annual reports and district human capital reports to jointly develop targeted recruitment strategies.
- Districts and EPPs should collaborate closely to ensure high-quality and meaningful clinical experiences for teachers in training.
- Districts should regularly review the systems they have in place for developing and supporting novice teachers.
- EPPs must ensure that they provide aspiring educators with a strong understanding of statewide instructional initiatives.
Additional materials can be found below:
- Empowering EPPs
- Partnership is Key
- What the Research Says
Educator Preparation Program Approval
EPPs in Tennessee: Review & Approval - Learn more about the process for preparing effective educators.
CTE-Approved Educator Preparation Programs
Out-of-State and Online Educator Preparation Programs
- Changes in TN Licensure and Educator Preparation
- Partnership Agreement with Tennessee School District for Out-of-state and Online EPPs
Partnership to bring together districts and educator preparation providers to collaborate on improving high-quality instruction and intervention in special education, general education, and educational leadership.