Energy Conservation and Efficiency
Americans spend an estimated $250 billion every year on energy for buildings. Using equipment and methods that conserve energy saves the individual or company money, while at the same time conserving the environment and usually improving the quality of the workplace. Anywhere from better lighting that costs less to operate, to heating systems that last longer with less maintenance, to an overall better work environment is potentially possible through energy efficient upgrades to existing equipment.
General Energy Efficiency
- Environmental Conservation facts and ideas
- Establishing an Energy Management Program and Identifying Energy Savings Opportunities. This is a guidebook for small manufacturers on how to set up an energy management program.
Presentations from the Small Business Environmental Assistance Program on energy conservation
- Energy Brown Bag luncheon presentation. This is moderate length Power Point presentation contains information on energy conservation aimed at a mostly homeowner audience, but it can also be applied to small businesses as well. (first presented in 2002)
- Energy, Make it Work for You! This extensive Power Point presentation is aimed at small commercial businesses and contains in depth information on lighting, heating and cooling, and energy conservation in general. (first presented in 2000)
Links to More Information
- Energy Star homepage
- EPA Environmental Stewardship page. A new website providing tools and information for pollution prevention and sustainability.
- Find a Green Garage
- Geothermal Heat Pump Consortium
- Home Energy Saver. A web site that helps conduct a very detailed home energy audit.
- Kilowatt Ours
- MTSU's Center for Energy Efficiency
- TN Department of Environment and Conservation, Office of Energy Programs
- TN Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency (From Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency)
- TVA Green Power Switch
- TVA Energy Right Program
- U.S. DOE Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
- Environmental Sustainability Resource Center