Standardized Inspection Process
The Division began development of a Standardized Inspection Manual in early 2009 in order to provide effective assistance to our regulated community and to insure consistency of our inspection program statewide. In addition, previously issued Compliance Guidance Documents required much needed updating to provide the necessary technical information for inspectors, the regulated community and their service providers on how to comply with requirements. After draft developments were complete in 2011, the Division sought feedback from various stakeholders including two separate mass mailings to all registered tank owners over a two year period. Service providers also provided valued feedback. The Division continued stakeholder meetings over the past four years incorporating suggestions to the manual and developing additional outreach materials for the regulated community. We are grateful to all who contributed to improve our final product. The manual has now been finalized and is effective October 1, 2015.
The manual is intended to be a standard operating procedure and helpful resource for Division inspectors and includes a step by step process to help them understand what they should look for at each facility as well as standard policies for employees. Technical Chapters of every release detection (RD) method and release prevention requirement provide more detail on the types of equipment and related records as well as photographs illustrating what is routinely found at UST facilities. These chapters also discuss specific manufacturers’ requirements that are referenced in the Division regulations. The manual also includes previously developed as well as some new standardized fillable forms for several RD methods as well as required testing that include the minimum required information.
- Standardized Inspection Process
- Atypical UST Systems
- Technical Chapter 3.1 Manual Tank Gauging
- Technical Chapter 3.2 Automatic Tank Gauging
- Technical Chapter 3.3 Statistical Inventory Reconciliation
- Technical Chapter 3.4 Secondary Containment and Interstitial Monitoring
- Technical Chapter 3.5 Pressurized Piping
- Technical Chapter 3.6 Suction Piping
- Technical Chapter 3.7 Tank Tightness Testing
- Technical Chapter 4.1 Corrosion Protection
- Technical Chapter 4.2 Spill and Overfill
- UST Operator Manual
- UST Owner Quick Reference Guide