Skip to Content

National Register of Historic Places From Tennessee

Contact Information

Claudette Stager - 615.532.1550 ext.105
Claudette.Stager@tn.gov
Christine Mathieson - 615.532.1550 ext.125
Christine.Mathieson@tn.gov
Peggy Nickell - 615.532.1550 ext.128
Peggy.Nickell@tn.gov

Other Registration Forms

The National Register of Historic Places is the Nation's list of cultural resources consideredworthy of preservation. In Tennessee, the staff of the Tennessee Historical Commission administers this program. Three times a year, the State Review Board meets to recommend properties for listing in the National Register.

There are over 2000 entries in the National Register from Tennessee. Every county in the state has at least one entry. For additional information on the National Register program, contact the Tennessee Historical Commission at 615/532-1550 or


Crockett Tavern Museum


The Hamblen County Chapter of the Association for Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities (APTA) planned and developed the Crockett Tavern and Museum in Morristown under the guidance of two local individuals, Sarah Dougherty and Rev. Jhoner Simonton. Completed in 1958, the museum is a mid-20th century interpretation of the Crockett family’s pioneer life during their time in Hamblen County in the late-18th century. Morristown’s centennial celebration and the popularity of Walt Disney’s ABC programs on Davy (David) Crockett helped promote interest in building the museum. Fess Parker, who played Crockett on TV, visited Morristown in 1955 when the plan for the city’s museum complex was announced. Although city leaders initially planned for a pioneer village, only the tavern was built. The APTA has owned the Crockett Tavern Museum since it opened and has operated it as a museum for most of that time.

National Register of Historic Places Registration Form for the Crockett Tavern Museum.


Beaty General Merchandise Store

The James Beaty General Merchandise store was built in 1924 in Grimsley on State Highway 28, a major thoroughfare in Fentress County. The one-story building was originally sheathed in wood, but the front was bricked in the 1950s. The large storefront windows and single door into the building are characteristic of this community general store. Dry goods, general merchandise, a post office and sandwich area are some of the uses of the store in the early to mid-20th century; gasoline pumps used to sit in front of the store. The south shed roof extension was the feed store, an important use of the building in the farming community. The Beaty store was the commercial, social and economic center of Grimsley.

National Register of Historic Places Registration Form for the Beaty General Merchandise Store.


Sears, Roebuck and Company Catalog Distribution Center and Retail Store

Known locally as Sears Crosstown, the 10-story Art Moderne building at the corner of Autumn and Cleveland in Memphis was built in 1927 from the designs of Chicago architect George C. Nimmons. The retail distribution center and store was an important part of Memphis’ commercial history from 1927 until the late 1960s. Sears originally focused on serving rural customers through catalog sales, but by the time the Memphis building was constructed, the company was promoting sales to urban and suburban customers. At one time, over 2,000 employees worked in the building. Retail sales began slipping in the late 1950s, so the company built a multi-story garage in 1964 to try and entice shoppers to come to the Crosstown building. Architecturally, the building is an excellent example of Art Moderne design in Memphis. The set back of the mass of the building, tall tower and stylized geometric and foliate patterns on the building are important architectural details.

National Register of Historic Places Registration Form for the Sears, Roebuck and Company Catalog Distribution Center and Retail Store.