The Department of General Services, Central Procurement Office will take applications from March 4th through May 17th for internships during the Summer of 2013. The Central Procurement Office is the link between the State of Tennessee and the vendor community, and is charged with purchasing all goods and services for state agencies and departments. This is a significant opportunity for anyone who is interested in learning valuable skills that include procurement best practices, accounting, and supply chain management skills. There is also availability for law school students who want to intern with our in-house legal department for the summer. Students will improve oral and written communication skills by gaining experience in the processes related to the real world procurement of goods and services. Duties include, but are not limited to market research, sourcing analysis, benchmarking, supporting vendor/customer training, and assisting with the day-to-day functions of the Central Procurement Office. This is an unpaid internship, but can serve as school credit. All internships are located in Nashville.
Learning Opportunities may include:
1. A formal or informal workplace orientation and tour of building
2. Review of employee handbook or position duties and goals of position
3. Attend meetings with staff members from different departments
4. Job shadowing (following a staff member for a period of time to observe job duties)
5. Attend staff meetings
6. Attend and participate in workshops and seminars
7. Workplace use of social media, marketing, and web design
8. On-the-job training by supervisor and by other staff members in diverse positions
9. Work assignments that require critical thinking and decision-making skills
Candidates include law school students, college juniors and seniors with strong communication, time-management, and organizational skills. All majors are welcome to apply. Hours are flexible between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. depending on the number of hours the student must work to fulfill university requirements. We are willing to complete the necessary paperwork for a student to earn school credit.
How to Apply
Please send your completed internship application and resume to email@example.com, and note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
|General Procurement Information:||615-741-1035|