What is Living Well?
Living Well with Chronic Conditions
- Living Well with Chronic Conditions (the Chronic Disease Self-Management Program) is a 6-week workshop.
- It teaches real-life skills for living a full, healthy life with a chronic condition.
- Classes are fun and interactive. Participants share their successes and build a common source of support.
- The workshop builds confidence around managing health, staying active, and enjoying life.
Some counties are now offering:
- Take Charge of Your Diabetes Self-Management Program - a chronic disease self-management program that specifically targets people with diabetes and their needs.
- Cancer: Thriving and Surviving Program - a self-management program that targets people affected by cancer.
- Two trained leaders at each location. At least one of them has a chronic condition.
- Some sites may charge a small fee to cover the cost of the course materials, which includes a book and a CD.
What You Will Learn:
- Resources, skills, and action planning to give you a sense of greater control over life with a chronic condition.
- People with different chronic conditions and their family or friends.
- A 6-week program that meets 2 to 2½ hours each week.
- Managing symptoms
- Medication "how-to"
- Working with your health care team
- Setting weekly goals
- Effective problem solving
- Better communication
- How to relax
- Handling difficult emotions
- Tips for eating well
- Safe, easy exercise
Description of Workshops
- Living Well with Chronic Conditions is the same as the Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP) developed by Stanford University.
- For more information, please go to the Stanford Patient Education Research Center website.
- Find a workshop near you by calling your local health department or visit the state website for contact information.