The Safe Stars Initiative
Safe Stars is a collaboration between the Tennessee Department of Health and the Program for Injury Prevention in Youth Sports at The Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt.
The Safe Stars initiative recognizes youth sports leagues throughout Tennessee for providing the highest level of safety for their young athletes. Safe Stars consists of 3 levels: gold, silver, and bronze, and involves implementation of policies around topics such as concussion education, weather safety and injury prevention.
Safe Stars’ goal is to provide resources and opportunities for every youth sports league to enhance their safety standards. The criteria for achieving recognition as a Safe Stars league has been developed by a committee of health professionals dedicated to reducing sports-related injuries among youth.
Safe Stars Standards
To reach the initial level of recognition, Bronze Star standard, a league must adhere to the following safety standards:
- Emergency Action Plan (EAP) / Team emergency contacts (specific plan and practiced annually)
- Background checks completed on all coaches
- Minimum of 2 coaches CPR/AED certified (one always present)
- AED on site for all practices and games
- All coaches trained in concussion and sudden cardiac arrest recognition/management
- Severe weather policy (including heat and lightning)
- Anaphylaxis and Allergy Emergency plan
Standards for Silver Star (Choose 2) and Gold Star (choose 4) Levels include:
- Pre-participation Physical Examination (PPE) required
- Risk and safety information/policies relayed to parents/guardians
- All coaches complete additional health, safety and injury prevention training
- All athletic equipment undergoes safety checks
- Medical professional (ATC, first responder, etc.) on site for all games
- Medical professional (ATC, first responder, etc.) on site for all practices
- ALL coaches CPR/AED certified
- On site tobacco policy / “Young Lungs at Play”
- Promote positive culture and standard of expectations regarding behavior
Safe Stars Application
To become a Safe Star League, please apply at: https://tdhrc.health.tn.gov/redcap/surveys/?s=DCXLPFH8LA
The application recommends that various documents supporting completion of criteria for Safe Stars be uploaded (i.e. CPR/AED certification, inclement weather policies, etc.), so be prepared before beginning the application. Uploading all documents will shorten your application review process.
- Review the criteria and resources page before applying to make sure your league is qualified
- Pending application acceptance, your league will receive a certificate of recognition along with a digital copy of the Safe Star logo to display.
- If you do not achieve a Safe Star level, you may reapply at any time.
- Your Safe Star recognition will be in effect for 5 years, after which time you must re-apply.
- You may apply for a higher level star at any time (i.e. your league can qualify for gold instead of silver).
For questions please contact: Safestars.firstname.lastname@example.org
Resources to Achieve Safe Stars Standards
Emergency Action Plan (EAP) / Team Emergency contacts
Project ADAM Middle and West TN Chapter: www.childrenshospital.vanderbilt.org/projectadam
Project ADAM East TN Chapter: https://www.etch.com/community/project-adam/
Concussion Recognition/Management Training
- https://www.cdc.gov/headsup/youthsports/index-esp.html (Español)
Sudden Cardiac Arrest Recognition/Managment Training:
Severe weather policy (including heat and lightning)
- http://ksi.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/1222/2015/03/Heat-and-Hydration-HUF.pdf (Korey Stringer Institute)
Anaphylaxis and Allergy Emergency Plan
Pre-participation Physical Examination (PPE)
Additional health, safety and injury prevention training
- http://jasonfoundation.com/courses/ (suicide prevention training)
Safety checks for athletic equipment
Promote positive culture & standard of expectations regarding behavior
Safe Stars Sports Leagues
Click on the links below to see the leagues that have achieved Safe Star status.
- Gold Standard
- Kingston Parks and Recreation
- PRIDE Lacrosse Lions League
- Silver Standard
- Coming Soon.
- Bronze Standard
- Coming Soon.