More About the Child Care Certificate Program

The Department of Human Services provides financial help for child care costs for families with low incomes through various assistance programs. To apply for the service, contact the local Department of Human Services office. Some assistance requires a co-payment.

If a parent is eligible for one of the programs, any type of child care can be used by the parents (both regulated and unregulated). However, the chosen provider must be enrolled in the certificate payment program. Payment rates are established by the Department and agreed to by the provider.

Families First Child Care Assistance. Parents participating in the Families First program who need child care to complete the work activities in their personal responsibility plan can receive financial assistance with the cost of child care. Families First parents do not pay a parent co-pay in this program. Eligibility is based on Families First income guidelines.

Transitional Child Care Assistance. Working parents on the Families First program whose case is closed are provided with 18 months of transitional child care assistance to help them transition off the program. There is a work activity requirement for each parent in order to be eligible for this program. Parents must pay a co-pay fee based on a sliding income scale.

At Risk Child Only. Children who are receiving Families First and are being cared for by someone other than their parent(s) may be eligible for this child care assistance. Caretakers must pay a co-pay fee based on a sliding income scale.

Teen Parent Child Care Assistance (TPACC). This program is for eligible high school or middle school parents. These young parents must stay in school in order to receive child care assistance. Parents must pay a co-pay fee based on a sliding income scale. For information, contact the Child Care Resource and Referral Center at 1-866-827-3372.  For additional information on teen parent child care assistance, contact your DHS certificate county office for eligibility requirements and an application.