Applying For Services
People may apply for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits at their local Department of Human Services county office or by applying online using the Family Assistance (FA) Online application.
In order to determine eligibility for the program, DHS caseworkers may ask for documentation like birth certificates, social security cards, check stubs, bank statements, utility bills, rent receipts, tax returns, and insurance policies. Applicants are notified by mail (within 45 days of the application date for Families First and 30 days of the application date for SNAP) of the eligibility decision.
Submit your application online or print and sign the application and fax, mail, or bring it to a DHS county office for us to process. – (If applying for SNAP only, an incomplete application can be accepted as long as it contains your name, address, and signature)
If you are applying for SNAP (food stamp) benefits, the documents listed below may be needed to complete the application process.
YOU MAY NEED PAPERS THAT SHOW:
- Social Security Number
- Your Identification (Example: driver's license, school ID with photo, Passport, Resident Alien Card, I-94 card, voter's registration card)
- Where you live (Example: lease agreement, utility bill, phone bill, or driver’s license with your address on it)
- Income (Example: check stubs, employer statement, award letters)
- Shelter costs (Example: mortgage payments, property tax, homeowner’s insurance, rent receipt, lease agreement)
- Costs of utilities (Example: electric bill, water bill, gas bill)
You may be asked to provide more information during your interview. Your eligibility counselor will explain what information is needed, how to get it and help you if you need assistance.
Family Assistance Service Center
615-743-2000 (Nashville area)
1-866-311-4287 (Toll free)
Current SNAP recipients can find information on their case with CaseConnect.
If you do not already have a TDHS account, you will need to create one to access services (e.g. CaseConnect).