Summary of Requirements
What are the requirements to operate boilers and pressure vessels in Tennessee?
- The Boiler Division of the Tennessee Department of Labor grants the permits that are necessary to install boilers and pressure vessels in commercial establishments in the state.
- All facilities with boilers and water heaters of more than 100,000 Btu/hr are required to obtain a permit-to-install from the state Department of Labor prior to installation.
- Tennessee does not require a license to operate a boiler except in Shelby County. To obtain a boiler operating license for Shelby County, call (901) 222-8396 or write City of Memphis, Mechanical/Gas, 6465 Mullins Station Road, Memphis, TN 38134.
- The Department of Labor Boiler Division inspects large boilers every two years and smaller boilers once a year.
- Facilities with boilers must have a designated person who checks the boiler every 20 minutes.