Handgun Carry Permit Renewals
How to Renew Your Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit
- Your handgun carry permit will expire four (4) years from the date it is issued.
- Renewals can be submitted up to six (6) months prior to the expiration date.
- If the handgun carry permit has been expired greater than 6 months past the expiration date, the applicant will have to start the complete original application process. This includes completing a handgun safety course, paying the $115 fee, being fingerprinted and undergoing a background check.
- Permit Holders whose permit has not expired and are renewing their permit, may legally carry their handgun with the receipt provided from their application. Permit Holders whose permit have expired and are renewing their permit, cannot lawfully carry a handgun until they receive their new permit.
- The renewal fee for a handgun carry permit is $50.00. Upon approval of the renewal application, a new permit will be mailed to the Handgun Carry Permit Applicant.
- A permit holder can submit a Renewal Application at any Driver Service Center or renew by mail. To receive a renewal application by mail call (615) 251-8590. The renewal application must be complete and signed by the applicant. The application and the $50.00 fee payable by check or money order can be mailed to the following address:
Tennessee Department of Safety
Handgun Permit Office
1150 Foster Ave.
Nashville, Tn 37243-1000
- Incomplete applications cannot be processed.
- FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.