Smart Commute by Vanpooling
Vanpools are much like carpools. They just have more passengers! Vanpools normally carry 12 to 15 people, each sharing the commuting costs. The number of passengers, length of trip, insurance, maintenance, gas and parking fees determines the actual cost. Vanpools provide a low cost, safe and convenient way to commute.
Vanpooling can be an economical option for individuals commuting long distances.
There are three kinds of vanpools:
- Owner-operated vans — an individual leases or purchases a van and operates the van independently. Riders usually meet at a central location and pay the owner a set monthly fee.
- Third-party vans — a vanpool “vendor” leases the vehicle for a monthly fee that includes the vehicle operating cost, insurance, and maintenance. The vendor can contract directly with one or more employees. The monthly lease fee is paid by the group of users.
- Employer-provided vans — the employer (or a group of employers) buys or leases vans for employees’ commute use. The employer organizes the vanpool riders and insures and maintains the vehicles. The employer may charge a fee to ride in the van or subsidize the service.
There are number of advantages to vanpooling:
- Less stress commuting to and from work
- Financial savings by sharing the cost of the commute
- No more driving around hunting for parking
- Relaxation, as a rider you have some free time
- Reduced travel time if an HOV lane is available
- Help protect the environment through less pollution, as there are less auto emission
In addition to commercial vanpool resources, your employer may offer vanpooling opportunities. Check with your company’s Human Resources department to learn more.
Below are a variety of links to information about vanpooling options, including ride-matching services, the locations of park-and-ride lots, and much more. Check this page regularly as more links will be added as they become available.
RTA RideMatch: find a friend to share a ride
RTA Park and Ride Lots: locate Park and Ride sites
TMA: vanpool fleet serving 9 Middle Tennessee counties
Vride: Memphis area rideshare
Statewide: Tennessee Vans
If you are aware of additional commuting links and resources that should be added to this page, please let us know. Send your suggestions and comments to TN.SmartCommute@tn.gov