Cumberland County was formed in 1855 from Bledsoe,
Fentress, Morgan, Putnam, Rhea and White counties
(Acts of Tennessee 1855-56, Chapter 6).
The county seat is Crossville.
There was a fire at the Cumberland County courthouse in 1905.
SELECTED PUBLISHED COUNTY HISTORIES
- And This is Grassy Cove (Stratton, 1938)*
- Brief History First Congregational Church, Crossville, Tennessee, 1887-1962 (Brookhart, 1962)
- Cumberland County, Tennessee, 1956-1986 (Bullard, 1987) [name index]*
- Cumberland County's First Hundred Years (Bullard & Krechniak, 1956) [surname / partial name index]*
- First Hundred Years of the Pleasant Hill Community Church : United Church of Christ, Pleasant Hill, Tennessee, 1885-1985 (Marriott, 1985)
- Hamby Mill Case of Cumberland County, Tennessee (Cantrell, 1999)
- Short History of Cumberland County (Kiwanis Club of Crab Orchard, Tennessee, 1982)
- Tales of the Civil War Era (Harvey, 1977)*
- The Way it Was: Crossville, Cumberland County (Stanley, 1983)*
Additional county and community histories can be found at the Bibliography of Tennessee Local History Sources: Cumberland County. The items in the bibliography may not all be available at TSLA.
PUBLISHED LOCAL RECORDS
- 1860 Census of Cumberland County, Tennessee (Kirkeminde, 1982) [surname index]*
- 1870 Census of Cumberland County, Tennessee (Kirkeminde, 1980) [surname index]
- 1880 Census, Cumberland County, Tennessee (Sistler, 1992) [alphabetical listing by head of household]*
- Cookeville-Crossville, Tennessee, Polk City Directory : Including: Putnam and Cumberland Counties (1997) [alphabetical listing]
- Cumberland Co., Tennessee, Fentress Co., Tennessee, Jackson Co., Tennessee, Loudon Co., Tennessee, Morgan Co., Tennessee, Overton Co. [1891 enumeration of male voters] (Reed, 1990) [name index]
- Cumberland County, Tennessee Cemetery Records : Includes Some Adjoining Cemeteries (Castillo & Sevier, 1986) [surname index]*
- Cumberland County, Tennessee, Entry Takers Book No. 2, 1856-1959 (WPA, 1936) [name index]
- Cumberland County, Tennessee, Plat Book A, 1856-97 (WPA, 1940) [name index]
- Cumberland County, Tennessee Vital Statistics, 1914 through 1925 (Wiefering, 1993) [name index]*
- Genealogical and Historical Notes from Crossville, Tennessee Newspapers [vol. 1. 1878-1899; vol. 2 1900-1902] (Boniol, 1995) [name index]*
- Marriage Records of Cumberland County, Tennessee [1905-1962] (Reed & Davis, 1991) [alphabetical by bride and groom]*
- Private Acts of Cumberland County, Tennessee (McIntyre & King, 1993)*
LOCAL RECORDS ON MICROFILM
An inventory of microfilmed Cumberland County records is available on our web site. Individual reels of microfilm may also be purchased.
Earliest records include:
- marriages from 1905
- wills from 1904
- deed index from 1854
- chancery court minutes from 1897
- county court minutes from 1905
- circuit court minutes from 1907
- tax books from 1904
The following reels are available on interlibrary loan from TSLA:
- Deed Index -- 1854-1939 (#45, 1 reel)*
- WPA Records, Cumberland County (Record Group #107, Roll 13, 1 reel). Roll includes Plat Book A (1856-1897), Entry Taker's Book 2 (1856-1859) and Entry Taker's Journal B (1856-1860).*
NEWSPAPERS ON MICROFILM
Newspapers were published in Crossville. Scattered early issues are available from 1886, and a complete run begins in 1895. Microfilms are loaned to Tennessee libraries. Individual reels may also be purchased. An Inventory of Newspapers on Microfilm at TSLA is available on our web site.
- Census on microfilm for Cumberland County: 1860-1880, 1900-1930
- State-wide census index: 1860-1880
- State-wide census index on microfilm (Soundex): 1880, 1900-1930
- Cumberland County census records in book form: 1860*, 1870, 1880*
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES FOR CUMBERLAND COUNTY
* Indicates this title may be borrowed on Interlibrary Loan from TSLA.
Updated December 22, 2008