Tennessee Veterans Cemeteries
Future Tennessee State Veterans Cemeteries
The Tennessee Department of Veterans Affairs is committed to establish a State Veterans Cemetery within 75 miles of the Tennessee Veteran population. The department has proposed a new State Veterans Cemetery in southwest Tennessee and in the upper Cumberland region. [More...]
Unclaimed Veteran Remains
Prior Active Duty Veterans
ELIGIBILITY FOR INTERMENT:
- Any person who served on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States (Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard and Marine Corps) who was discharged or released there from before September 7, 1980 under conditions other than dishonorable.
- Any member of the Armed Forces of the United States who died while on active duty.
- Any person who served on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States who entered active duty as an enlisted person after September 7, 1980, and officers commissioned who entered active duty after October 17, 1981, and whose discharge or separation from active military service was under "other than dishonorable'" conditions. A person whose first tour of duty began on or after the dates listed above is eligible if he or she completed a continuous period of active duty of at least 24 months or the full period for which called or ordered to active duty, whichever is shorter or was released because of a hardship discharge, or has a compensable service connected disability or was released because of a service connected disability.
VERIFICATION INFORMATION REQUIRED
- Full name of veteran.
- Date of birth, service and social security numbers.
- Service Dates: entry and discharge from active duty. (This information can be found in veteran’s discharge papers or DD Form 214.)
THERE IS NO COST IF ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS ARE MET EXCEPT UNDER THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS:
- There is a $700.00 fee for the interment of a veteran’s spouse or eligible dependent children that must be paid prior to or the day of the burial.
- The same guidelines apply.
- The State of Tennessee does not require an outside container for burial. This is a personal preference of the family.
- All veterans are entitled to a white, upright marble headstone at government expense when buried in a State Veterans Cemetery. A temporary grave marker is used to identify grave site until the permanent headstone is delivered in approximately three to four months.
Reserve & National Guard Members
Back to top
ELIGIBILITY FOR INTERMENT:
- Reserve & National Guard members who are in receipt of compensation or pension from the VA are eligible for burial.
- Reserve & National Guard members who completed twenty or more years of reserve or guard service and are entitled to retirement pay.
- Reserve & National Guard members are also eligible for burial under the following five (5) categories.
- Dies under honorable conditions while undergoing active duty for training.
- If called to active duty, completes the full period for which called up.
- Dies under honorable conditions while performing full time AGR service.
- Completed at least 24 months of active service.
- Discharged due to service connected disability while on active duty.