Workers Affected by Foreign Trade

Training options are available through Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA)

The Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) Program offers a variety of benefits and services to workers who lose their jobs or whose hours of work are reduced as a result of increased imports. Workers whose company is an upstream supplier to the primary company or a downstream finisher may also apply. The goal of TAA is to help trade-affected workers return to suitable employment as quickly as possible.

How It Works            

A petition must be filed with the US Department of Labor by or on behalf of a group of workers who have experienced a job loss as a result of foreign trade. After the Department of Labor investigates the facts behind the petition, it determines whether statutory criteria are met. If the Department grants the petition to certify the worker group, individual workers may apply for TAA benefits and services through their State Workforce Agency.

What We Offer    

TAA offers a variety of benefits and services to support workers seeking reemployment: job training, income support, job search and relocation allowances, and wage subsidy to workers over the age 50 who obtain employment where wages are less that the worker’s dislocating wage.

Alternative Trade Adjustment Assistance (ATAA) is an assistance program for older workers (50 years of age or older) certified eligible to apply for Trade Adjustment Assistance.

ATAA  is designed to allow TAA older workers, for whom retraining may not be suitable and who find reemployment, to receive a wage subsidy to help bridge the salary gap between their old and new employment.

Qualify and Apply for Benefits

For a worker to qualify for benefits, the company in which he is employed must establish eligibility for TAA and ATAA by filing a petition with the U.S. Department of Labor's Division of Trade Adjustment Assistance (OTAA) in Washington, DC, for investigation. A company official or authorized representative, a union official, group of three or more workers, Tennessee American Job Center operators, partners (including employment security agencies) may file a petition. Petitions must be submitted simultaneously to both the Office of Trade Adjustment Assistance and the relevant state workforce agency.  Petitions and information may be obtained through any Tennessee American Job Center or you may visit . If the petition is certified, the worker will be notified in writing that he may be eligible for TAA benefits.

You may submit the state copy to:

Tennessee Department of Labor & Workforce Development
220 French Landing Drive
Nashville, TN 37245
FAX 615-532-3652

If you have questions concerning TAA, contact your local Tennessee American Job Center or the Workforce Services Division, TAA Unit, in Nashville, at (615) 253-6668, or (800) 432-5268 for calls inside the state.

Send comments to

Federal Regulation Materials

Materials have been provided to further support those assisting trade customers.