Health Care Facilities
About the Office of Health Care Facilities
The Office of Health Care Facilities is responsible for ensuring quality of care in hospitals, nursing homes, ambulatory surgical treatment centers, and other kinds of health care facilities in Tennessee. The Office licenses and/or certifies 21 types of health care facilities, including laboratories.
The Office also conducts state licensure and/or federal certification surveys annually for participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs, and is responsible for the investigation of all facility complaints received, and the issuance and collection of state and /or federal civil monetary penalties. Facility surveys and complaint investigations are coordinated and conducted from our three regional offices located in Jackson, Nashville, and Knoxville.
The Office also does the following:
- Maintains the nurse aide training and testing registry, the elderly abuse registry, the Resident Protection Trust Fund, the federal Medicaid Trust Fund, and Unusual Incident Reporting System;
- Electronically transmit data to the federal Nursing Home Minimum Data Set (MDS) and the federal home health agency Outcome, Assessment and Information Systems, administers the Eden Alternative Grant Assistance Program, certifies residential homes for the aged and assisted care living facility administrators; and ensures quality of health of Health Maintenance Organizations for the Department of Commerce and Insurance;
- Provides administrative support to the Board for Licensing Health Care Facilities; and
- Reviews engineering and architectural plans for all new facilities and major renovations to existing facilities.
The Office’s Civil Rights Compliance Unit monitors facilities for compliance with the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title VI, and the federal Linton Agreed Order.
Health Care Facilities has three regional offices: the Central office Nashville, as well as locations in Jackson and Knoxville.
Types of Health Care Facilities
Licensed Only Facilities
- Adult Care Homes
- Assisted-Care Living Facilities
- Birthing Centers
- HIV Supportive Living Facilities
- Outpatient Diagnostic Centers*
- Prescribed Child Care Centers
- Residential Homes for the Aged
Certified Only Facilities
- Comprehensive Outpatient Rehabilitation Facilities
- Intermediate Care Facilities for Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities*
- Occupational Therapists in Independent Practice
- Physical Therapists in Independent Practice
- Portable X-ray Units
- Rehabilitation Centers*
- Rural Health Clinics
Licensed and/or Certified Facilities
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers*
- End Stage Renal Disease Centers
- Home Care Organizations:
- Home Health Agencies*
- Home Medical Equipment Providers
- Professional Support Services Providers
- Nursing Homes*
- Residential Hospices*
*Requires a Certificate of Need from the Health Services and Development Agency (formerly the Health Facilities Commission).
Quality of Health Service Certified
- Health Maintenance Organizations (for the Department of Commerce and Insurance licensure. Department of Health ensures quality of health service.)